Ramblings. Lifestyle. Snaps.

Sunday, 15 March 2015

In Which I am Forced Into Spontaneity

Okay, I have a weird idea that everybody comes to university to learn one thing. I'm often saying to my friends "see! that's what you came to university to learn!" Not education-wise, more a life lesson. I thought I had come to university to learn patience but as I found out yesterday, I most definitely came to university to learn how to be spontaneous.

I love planning. I love lists. I think about my future all the time, planning what my house will look like, how I'll achieve the job I want. If I have children what I would name them and how I would raise them. I like stability and I like knowing what's going to happen. Spontaneity sends me into cold sweats, my heart beats horribly, I feel sick to my stomach and I immediately bail. 
On Thursday evening my friend was like "guys! Ditch all plans for tomorrow evening. Lets go into London and this really great artist is doing a gig in a house, let's go!"
So, so many things wrong with these sentences. Ditch plans? Why make plans if you're not going to follow through with them? London? I have a seminar. I would have to run for the train to get to the gig on time. A house? Who heard of a gig in a HOUSE? And in London? Isn't that just an enticement to get raped and killed?

After all of these questions ran through my brain like wildfire in the space of 4.3 seconds we agreed to go and the next day I was on a train to London. 
We got to the house and there was a good 70 odd people milling about outside and inside was packed. So we wandered to a warehouse to watch the artist. As you do. Cool.
It was pretty awesome. It was really intimate and the guy (Nick Mulvey. Acoustic. Relaxing. Got some good vibes going on) was amazing. He took requests and properly chatted with the crowd and everyone (all 100 of us) was so chilled. It was in Hackney as well so I basically felt like the coolest person alive, One of things that you have to do because it's London so hey, why not. Free gig, awesome.


After he finished a couple of us decided to go to Southbank to get food. With no idea how to get there we just jumped on a bus (that we had to run for) that said it was going to London Bridge. And we impromptu decided to eat somewhere. NO PLANNING.

I was completely under the impression that the last train to Egham was at 11;20 so at 11 we left the restaurant to wander back to Waterloo. We are not Londoners. We had no bloody clue where we were going. I don't know why we thought we did. As we walked on iPhone was telling me to turn around and that we were 30 minutes away. So we ran and got the ever reliable tube. Not joking. We actually had to run. We then had to run up the escalators at Waterloo and they are big escalators. STILL RUNNING. I've never had to run for anything in my life! Pushing stupid people out of my way on escalators. I hate people who stand still on the side you're supposed to walk up and down on!!

After all this and getting to the platform at 23;23 (missing the train) we realised that there was a train at 11;50. So we bought some water and had a little sit down. Sigh.

My 100% dislike of spontaneity has decreased to 75%. Baby steps. It's probably good for to do things without planning. Also keeping up with my resolution to do things that I don't like and getting over it - go me. Not that I won't stop planning. My house is going to be amazing when I graduate!

Much love xx

No comments :

Post a Comment